Monday, May 2, 2011

Double Life

Been slowly finishing up the swap in the rx7. Height has been the main problem, even with the motor pushed into the firewall, and the bottom of the motor sitting on the steering rack, theres not much margin before the tappet covers start becoming higher than the bonnet. This isnt an option, and neither is dropping the rack.

Photobucket
Can't get it any closer. I thought about notching the firewall, but then I'd have to relocate brake booster, and this is all supposed to be reversable.

Photobucket
Shifter comes up ~120mm too short. New linkage and entension made up.

Photobucket
Again, so its reversable, I wanted to use orginal crossmember mounts. Box crossmember was made out of a battleship hull instead. One piece alloy tailshaft not shown.

Photobucket
The cutest little header tank.

Photobucket
Needed because I had the radiator slung underneath the support. Mounting points for twin SPALs. Unfortunately there was no way of keeping the clutch fan.

Photobucket
I have some sheet to enclose this box section from cooler to rad, and an underfloor that runs from the nosecone, to the gearbox. The floor is 1.2 alloy, and needs a couple of ribs.

Photobucket
The reason for tucking the radiator under the support, was so I can still run the factory bonnet latch. Dumb reason, but I really hate bonnet pins.

Photobucket
Charge piping. Around an FC in 80 days. So convoluted. Kind of annoying because..

Photobucket
I have an oil cooler to sit on one side, and a steering cooler to stick on the other. Was going to box some ducting for those, but seems pointless with piping smack bang in the centre.

In anycase, it fits so snug. Waiting on some mil-spec connectors so I can finally ditch that wiring thats sitting all goof on top of the motor. Single turbo, cams and retainers to be thrown on after the first run. As soon as I get this at least running, means I can put the big ol 13b in the coupe. Dont know which one I'm more excited about.